STATE PREVIEW: 2A DI Post vs. Shiner
Like its Division II counterpart, Shiner has been playing at a ridiculous level this year and through the playoffs. But Post is no slouch either, having done the same up until last week.
All in all, it's a 2A Division I matchup that most in the state imagined would happen as the rounds progressed.
Shiner (13-0, Region IV champion) is in search of its third state championship but would be the program's first since 2004 - so it's been a while. Shiner enters averaging 50 points a game while holding opponents to just 11 per contest. The playoffs have seen Shiner run right through its opponents, outscoring teams 273-38.
Post is back in the state final after falling short last year to Refugio, still in search of its first championship. Equally as impressive, Post has averaged nearly 45 points a game all while holding opponents to less than 5 points a game, which is No. 1 in the class.
HOW SHINER GOT HERE
- BI-DISTRICT: Beat Harper 72-12
- AREA: Beat Freer 72-6
- REGIONALS: Beat Mason 56-0
- QUARTERFINALS: Beat Refugio 24-13
- SEMIFINALS: Beat Timpson 49-7
HOW POST GOT HERE
- BI-DISTRICT: Beat Stinnett West Texas 1-0 (forfeit)
- AREA: Beat Anson 61-6
- REGIONALS: Beat Panhandle 68-0
- QUARTERFINALS: Beat Cisco 33-0
- SEMIFINALS: Beat Crawford 28-14
LINE: Post favored by 2