The Woodlands takes over No. 1 spot in newest VYPE 6A Poll
We are officially a couple weeks into the season and with that there have been two tournaments, including the Adidas John Turner Classic and Volleypalooza that have taken place.
With so many matches under their belts now, the picture has become a little clearer of how teams are faring early in the year.
1)The Woodlands (Prev. 2)
- The Highlanders have started the year 26-1. The Woodlands won the Adidas John Turner Classic and then finished third at Volleypaooza. Dylan Maberry (LSU) leads the team with 234 kills.
2) Pearland Dawson (Prev. 5)
- Dawson sits at 18-2 on the year. The Eagles finished second at Volleypalooza.
3) Ridge Point (Prev. 1)
- The Panthers sit at 16-3 on the year with losses to Coronado, Dripping Springs and Gregory-Portland
4) Deer Park (Prev. 6)
- The Lady Deer are 14-3 on the season, finished 4th at the JTC, falling in its final two matches to The Woodlands and Episcopal. Then finished fourth at Volleyfest.
5) Klein (Prev. 7)
- Klein sits at 16-4 on the year with wins against prev. No. 3 Cinco Ranch (3-2). The Bearkats also have wins against Top 20 teams Katy (19) and Klein Collins (10). Losses to Bellville, Martin, Rouse and Lake Travis
6) College Park (Prev. Unranked)
- It has been an ultra-impressive start for the Cavaliers. They started the year as a team to watch for VYPE and have opened some eyes. The Cavs have knocked off Kingwood, Cy-Fair, Seven Lakes and Kingwood Park as a part of their 13 wins. College Park is 13-2 to start the year and a match against The Woodlands on Sept. 3 should be a real test to see where they are at.
7) Bridgeland (Prev. Unranked)
- One of the most impressive starts in the city resides at Bridgeland. The Bears are 25-3 to start the year and have opened some eyes early on. Wins against Klein Collins (twice), Cy-Fair (twice), Memorial and Oak Ridge (twice) will do that. Katie Kessler leads the team with 193 kills. The Bears open District 14-6A play against Cy Springs on Tuesday.
8) Cinco Ranch (Prev. 3)
- Cinco Ranch sits at 15-5 on the season. The Cougars have recently suffered losses to Cornerstone Christian and Aledo at the Volleypalooza. They did wrap up the tourney with wins against Coronado and Pearland.
9) Klein Collins (Prev. 10)
- Klein Collins sits at 14-5 on the year. The Tigers have had an up and down start to the year.
10)Seven Lakes (Prev. 4)
- Seven Lakes had a solid start, going 5-0 before suffering its first loss to Cinco Ranch. The Spartans did have a rough finish to Volleypalooza, losing their last three matches.
11) Cy-Fair (Prev. 11)
- The Bobcats sit at 16-9 at the start of the year. Cy-Fair has lost two of its last three matches, falling to New Braunfels and Bridgeland. The Bobcats do have wins over Kingwood (twice) this year.
12) Clear Falls (Prev. 19)
- Clear Falls has won three of its last five matches, with wins against Langham Creek, Boerne and San Antonio Christian. The Knights are 13-6 on the year and have a big test coming against Seven Lakes. The Knights this season do have losses to Deer Park and Episcopal as notable ones.
13) Clear Springs (Prev. 13)
- Clear Springs sits at 14-11 on the season. The Chargers have struggled of late, losing their last two matches to Westlake and Waxahachie. A big test for Clear Springs this week as they face Ridge Point and Friendswood.
14) Katy (Prev. 20)
- The Tigers have won three of their last five matches and sit at 14-6 on the year. Notable losses have come against Klein (2-0) and Seven Lakes (2-0)
15) Klein Cain (Prev. Unranked)
- What a start to the year for Klein Cain. The Hurricanes have stormed in with a 19-3 record. Some of their notable wins have included ones against Cy-Fair, Klein Collins, Summer Creek, Klein Oak and Cy Creek. It's been an impressive resume so far. A big test is next against 25-3 Bridgeland in their final non-district tune-up on Friday.
16) Klein Oak (Prev. Unranked)
- From starting the year as a team to watch, Klein Oak has quickly broken into the Top 20 in a matter of weeks. The Panthers are 15-4 on the year. Wins against Memorial and Goose Creek Memorial have been nice to add to their resume.
17) Pearland (Prev. 17)
- Pearland stays pat at No. 17 in the newest poll. The Oilers started the year 6-0 at their home tournament before dropping matches to Clear Brook, Deer Park, Ridge Point and Pearland Dawson. Recently, wins have come against Memorial, Magnolia West and Vista Ridge at Volleypalooza.mem
18) Memorial (Prev. 9)
- After a 6-0 start to the season, the Memorial Mustangs have struggled of late. Early wins against Cy-Fair looked good but recently losses to Bridgeland, Katy, Cinco Ranch and Clear Springs have dropped the Mustangs in the rankings. This is still a solid team to watch and remains in the Top 20.
19) Oak Ridge (Prev. 14)
- The War Eagles have started the year at 8-6 overall. Key wins have come against Summer Creek, Magnolia West and Kingwood. Oak Ridge did go to five sets against Bridgeland in their first meeting, falling 3-2, but played well. The War Eagles face Atascocita and The Woodlands this week, which will both prove to be tests.
20) Summer Creek (Prev. 18)
- An 11-10 start to the year has dropped Summer Creek a few spots in the poll. The Bulldogs started the year with three-straight losses to Oak Ridge, Dawson and Highland Park. The Bulldogs have continued to struggle lately dropping three of the last five with losses to Kingwood Park, Ursuline Academy and Shadow Creek.