HOUSTON – In just a week the first UIL State Championship of the year will get underway with Team Tennis serving it up in College Station.
But who could get there?
The playoffs push into the Regional Semifinals starting on Thursday across the state with the Regional Final matches set for Friday morning.
VYPE went through each bracket, have provided the matchups, locations, times and some notes on who could get back to College Station.
In Class 6A here is the breakdown.
Abilene vs Lewisville Marcus (Rose Park Tennis Center – Thurs. 1 p.m.)
El Paso Coronado vs Southlake Carroll (Rose Park Tennis Center – Thurs. 1 p.m.)
Reg. Final – Friday at 9 a.m. at Rose Park Tennis Center
Allen vs The Woodlands (Mansfield HS – Thurs. 1 p.m.)
Plano West vs Round Rock Westwood (Lake Ridge HS – Thurs. 1 p.m.)
Reg. Final – Friday at 10 a.m. at Mansfield HS
Seven Lakes vs Clear Lake (Deer Park HS – Thurs. 8:30 a.m.)
Houston Memorial vs Deer Park (Deer Park HS – Thurs. 1:30 p.m.)
Reg. Final – Friday at 9 a.m. at Deer Park HS
Westlake vs Harlingen South (Northside Tennis Center – Thurs. 10 a.m.)
Lake Travis vs Laredo Alexander (Northside Tennis Center – Thurs. 10 a.m.)
Reg. Final - Friday at 10 a.m. at Northside Tennis Center
Houston Memorial has become a power program under Budd Booth's direction. The program won a state championship in 2017. Last year, Memorial fell just short to Round Rock Westwood in the 6A State Championship match. If the Mustangs make it through the next two rounds they will be making their 12th state tournament appearance in program history and for the 11th-straight season.
Lake Travis reached the state tournament last year but fell in the semifinals to Memorial. The Cavaliers are seeking their third-ever state tournament berth with a pair of wins this weekend.
With just a couple of weeks to go in the season, VYPE has restructured its Class 6A Top 20. There has been some movement but honestly, the cream has risen to the top.
District titles are starting to get claimed, the Top 10 did see a little movement with Ridge Point jumping from five to three and Klein falling from No. 1 to No. 4 as the most dramatic shift.
The Top 4 is a tight race with a win here and a win there being the difference right now.
1) Pearland Dawson (Prev. 2) ** 36-4 Overall / 11 game winning streak
2) The Woodlands (Prev. 3) ** 40-3 Overall / 9-game winning streak
3) Ridge Point (Prev. 5) ** 39-4 Overall / 10-game winning streak
4) Klein (Prev. 1) ** 33-6 Overall / 1-game losing streak
5) Bridgeland (Prev. 4) ** 39-4 Overall / 7-game winning streak
6) Cinco Ranch (Prev. 6) ** 30-5 Overall / 20-game winning streak
7) Deer Park (Prev. 8) ** 33-8 Overall / 13-game winning streak
8) Cy-Fair (Prev. 9) ** 29-10 Overall / 2-game winning streak
9) College Park (Prev. 7) ** 24-4 Overall / 1 game winning streak
10) Katy (Prev. 10) ** 27-13 Overall / 2-game winning streak