It's time for playoff volleyball in the state of Texas, so let's talk Houston. Who can get to the State Finals? VYPE has crunched the numbers and researched the schedules from Pasadena to Fulshear and from Alvin to The Woodlands. Here's what our crystal ball is telling us.
CLASS 6A REGION III
Seven Lakes has the juice with the Batenhorst sisters. Granted, the team had some time off with Covid 19 rearing its ugly head, but the Spartans have the most deadly player in the city in Nebraska-commit Ally Batenhorst.
The Dark Horses
Dawson and Memorial are legit. Dawson is always in the conversation come Regionals but haven't been able to really get to the next level. The Eagles have been to the Regional Finals in 2018 and 2013 but that as far as they've gotten.
Memorial has had a surge this season going 21-5 and 15-0 in district play. They are well-coached with Kaddie Platt and are tremendously balanced with Kingsley Wallace, Lyla Traylor, Samantha Cousins and Lauren Elie on the edge. Don't forget about Gibson and Odum on the middle and Logan Leroux running the offense at setter. It's been since 2006 that the 'Stangs have reached the Regional Finals.
It's clearly -- Clear Falls and Clear Springs. Both have fire-power and can compete with Houston's south side. But are they city-wide contenders come the postseason? Also, don't sleep on Cy-Fair, who are crafty and defensive.
CLASS 6A REGION II
The Klein Bearkats are the best ballers in Houston right now. They 'Kats went undefeated this season and were one step away from state a year ago, losing to Plano West in the Regional Finals. Klein returns virtually everyone from that team and have star-power with Annie Antar, Devan Taylor, Ariana Brown and Kierstyn McFall up front. Camryn King and Antar are the setters and Gabby Mansfield is a beast at libero. They can win state this season.
The Dark Horses
The Woodlands flexed and ran the table in their district led by Georgia-signee Clara Brower. She can ball and gets her teammates in great position to be successful. But do they have enough on the edge and middle to get out of the Region?
Bridgeland and Cy Ranch are contenders out of the CFISD. B-Land has six players with over 100 kills so they are balanced. The 'Stangs have a future star in Bianna Muoneke, just a sophomore.
Oak Ridge is solid and put up a fight against The Woodlands in district play. So did Grand Oaks but do they have enough staying power? It's a very tough bracket and they would have to play perfect to get out of the Region.
CLASS 5A REGION III
It could all come down to Friendswood and Fulshear in the Regional Finals. These two teams are state contenders. Reminder… Fulshear won state in Class 4A last season and the bright lights don't bother them. Friendswood is just so technically-sound.
The Dark Horses
Manvel, Montgomery, Kingwood Park and Lake Creek. Manvel is explosive and finished second behind Friendswood in district play. K Park won state a few years back and tied Lake Creek and Montgomery at 12-2 in one of the toughest volleyball districts in the state.
Magnolia and Magnolia West are interesting. Magnolia won district going 12-2 and face Porter in the first round, while West went 11-4 but face a tough K Park. If West gets past the first round, watch out. Ellie Anderson, Sydney Gentry, Marissa Moffatt and Reina King lead the way offensively for Magnolia. Setter Faith Lynch runs the offense.
Break up the Memorial Mustangs.
The Woodlands aren't going away. The Highlanders put away Grand Oaks in five games to remain in first in district. Staying up north, Montgomery has it rolling in Class 5A, winning 10 straight, while TWCA is putting it together in TAPPS 4A.
In Class 4A, the Houston area has two state powers in Needville and Huffman. Both are undefeated entering the postseason. Deer Park moves into the Class 6A Top 10.
Here are the RANKINGS
1. Klein – No one is touching the Bearkats in district... No one
2. Seven Lakes – Same goes for Seven Lakes... Will run the table in 19-6A
3. Memorial – Big win over Cy-Fair puts them in lead position in district
4. Bridgeland – Have only lost four sets in 9 district games
5. George Ranch – Have only lost one game in 8 district games
6. Pearland Dawson – Whoaaaaaa. Fell to Memorial 3-0
7. Clear Springs – Are they the power down South?
8. The Woodlands – Beat Grand Oaks to take 4-0 record in district
9. Deer Park -- Undefeated in district play
10. Grand Oaks -- Big game against Oak Ridge Tuesday
OTHERS TO WATCH: Atascocita, Clear Falls, Katy, Oak Ridge, Pearland, Summer Creek
1. Friendswood – Going untouched in district
2. Magnolia West – Alyssa May powering West
3. Fulshear – Gaining momentum for postseason in Class 5A
4. Montgomery -- Have won 10 in a row
5. Barbers Hill -- Undefeated in district
OTHERS TO WATCH -- Manvel, Foster
CLASS 4A - Start Playoffs This Week
1. Needville -- 29-0 and No. 1
2. Huffman -- Only one loss on the season
1. Concordia Lutheran – HUGE game vs St. Agnes Tuesday Night
2. St. Agnes – No. 1 on the line vs Concordia Lutheran
3. Episcopal – Wins vs Deer Park and John Cooper last week
4. The Woodlands Christian -- Putting it together in district play
4. St. Pius X – Faces Kelly Catholic this week