* By VYPE Hoops Insider Ray Meach*
Davion Coleman - Jersey Village
Coleman's high level play has not only landed him an opportunity to play division one college basketball at UIC but he has also helped Jersey Village punch their ticket to post season play for the first time in 17 years! The senior guard is a huge burst of production on both sides of the floor and it translates to wins.
Davion Sargent - Katy Paetow
Davion is a relentless attacker on the offensive end. When his jump shot is falling that means bad news for the defending team. This is only Katy Paetow's second season competing, but you wouldn't be able to tell while watching them play. Sargent has been one the focal points for the program and he's helped them to their first ever district title and playoff debut, all in one season.
Trace Boling - The Village School
Trace has had as strong of a senior campaign as anyone. Team captain, several big games, a sports center worthy buzzer beater and now to finish off his captain by trying to push his team to a state championship. Boling is one of Houston's top unsigned seniors and should be signing the dotted line to play at a university this spring.
Bryce Griggs - Hightower
Griggs is currently the No. 1 ranked sophomore in the greater Houston area and is arguably the top prospect in the state of Texas. The young guard has an offensive repertoire that, for some, takes years to develop. Griggs has the scoring ability to put up big numbers in a flurry, but what most do not recognize is his unselfishness. Seeing double and triple teams has helped him develop his court awareness and can hit open guys on a dime.
*By VYPE Hoops Insider Ray Meach*
What a Tuesday in Houston hoops. For those that couldn't get out on a muggy Tuesday night, here's a recap of what happened citywide.
- Yates scored 100 points yet again making it 16 in a row and a setting a new NATIONAL record. (Someone needs to get a copy of the new Guinness book!)
- The Dickinson Gators secured their 5th straight district title. That's an impressive run for any 6A school.
- Hightower knocked off Shadow Creek with 46 points from the areas top junior, Bryce Griggs. If your haven't seen this young man play then you'd be advised to catch a glimpse while admission is only $5.
- A&M Consolidated takes a piece of the district title from Katy Paetow defeating the Panthers 66-52.
- Klein Forest loses a tough on the road to the Woodlands Highlanders. The Woodlands' Cole Himmer got fouled on a made bucket to put the woodlands up 53-51 with less that 20 second to play.
- Concordia Lutheran secured their district title with a big road win over The Village School, 61-57.
- St. Pius X secured their 20 win season while defeating St. Thomas at home. Great to see that program persevere through the coaching change early in the season.
- Westfield goes undefeated in district to lock in the district title. Time to prepare for the playoffs!
- Jordan Ivy-Curry lands his first D1 offer from Appalachian State. We don't typically announce college offers, but Ivy-Curry leads the state of Texas in scoring. If he leaves the state…or maybe the region, we will be highly disappointed.