The state volleyball playoffs start tonight as area powers prepare for bracket play with hopes of reaching the finals in Garland, Texas.
So, as we are known to do, VYPE is going to boil it down for the fans.
Let's start in Class 6A Region II.
The Woodlands, Klein, Bridgeland and College Park are the Houston headliners coming out of this bracket, however, the 'Kats, Bears and Cavs will have to battle it out in the bottom half of the bracket.
Klein will likely play Bridgeland in Round 2, which could be an epic match-up.
In Class 6A Region III, it's all about Ridge Point and Pearland Dawson, but they would face each other in the Regional Semis. Cinco Ranch could be a spoiler on the top part of the bracket.
The bottom half of the bracket is wide open. Seven Lakes? Cy-Fair? Or Deer Park, maybe?
The Class 5A Region III was won by Kingwood Park last season. They went on to win state. Who will it be this year coming out of this bracket? It could be Kingwood Park, but Barbers Hill and Freindswood seem like more legit contenders. Both teams are loaded.
Manvel ran the table in their district, but doesn't have the size to go the whole way. The Mavs are super scrappy and can "D" up. How about Grand Oaks going 17-1 in district play. They are legit.
Who in Houston could have the best chance at a state title? Class 4A Fushear is 38-4 and went undefeated in their district. They have an all-star line up of Echter, Dacosta, Voskuhl, Underwood and Carlson. They can win it all.
We are officially just a few weeks away from the 2019 playoffs beginning.
Playoffs? We're talking about playoffs? Yes we are and district championships on top of that.
There is some movement in the new rankings as a lot of teams are making the final push in district play.
1) Manvel (Prev. 1) ** The Mavericks are rolling at 34-6 Overall, 12-0 in District and have won 17-straight matches. On top of that, in district Manvel has dropped just one set.
2) Grand Oaks (Prev. 2) ** The Grizzlies are 31-10 overall and 13-1 in district play, Grand Oaks just suffered its first district loss to Kingwood Park.
3) Shadow Creek (Prev. 5) ** The Sharks are 25-13 overall, 11-2 in district. Shadow Creek has won four-straight and in district play has dropped only eight total sets.
4) Tomball (Prev. 7) **The Cougars are 28-15 overall and 11-3 in District. Tomball has won seven-straight matches.
5) Friendswood (Prev. Unranked) ** The Mustangs have made a heck of a turnaround from the beginning of the season. Friendswood is now 25-16 overall and 10-0 in district with wins over Santa Fe (series sweep), Crosby and Texas City.