The TAPPS private school boys and girls basketball tourneys start this week and Houston has some teams with their eyes on the prize. All of them of course, but there are a few who have a legit shot.
Concordia Lutheran is loaded with talent and will cruise in the first round. However, the 'Saders could catch a pretty talented Village School in Round 2, which would be interesting. Guard RJ Keene is averaging just at 20 point pers game followed by Trey Miller and Kenyon Holcombe. Concordia is H-Town's best shot for a Class 6A title.
Westbury Christian is loaded with talent again and are the favorites in Class 5A. The Wildcats ran the table in district and are led by a pair of juniors Chris Felix and Ja'Vier Francis. They are legit.
The boys from up north – The Woodlands Christian Academy – are the favorites in Class 4A. Guard Bakari LaStrap runs the show for coach Tanner Fields, who went unblemished in district play. They went 24-7 on the season.
Tomball Rosehill, Alpha Omega and Baytown Christian are looming in Class 3-1A.
*By VYPE Hoops Insider Ray Meach*
What a Tuesday in Houston hoops. For those that couldn't get out on a muggy Tuesday night, here's a recap of what happened citywide.
- Yates scored 100 points yet again making it 16 in a row and a setting a new NATIONAL record. (Someone needs to get a copy of the new Guinness book!)
- The Dickinson Gators secured their 5th straight district title. That's an impressive run for any 6A school.
- Hightower knocked off Shadow Creek with 46 points from the areas top junior, Bryce Griggs. If your haven't seen this young man play then you'd be advised to catch a glimpse while admission is only $5.
- A&M Consolidated takes a piece of the district title from Katy Paetow defeating the Panthers 66-52.
- Klein Forest loses a tough on the road to the Woodlands Highlanders. The Woodlands' Cole Himmer got fouled on a made bucket to put the woodlands up 53-51 with less that 20 second to play.
- Concordia Lutheran secured their district title with a big road win over The Village School, 61-57.
- St. Pius X secured their 20 win season while defeating St. Thomas at home. Great to see that program persevere through the coaching change early in the season.
- Westfield goes undefeated in district to lock in the district title. Time to prepare for the playoffs!
- Jordan Ivy-Curry lands his first D1 offer from Appalachian State. We don't typically announce college offers, but Ivy-Curry leads the state of Texas in scoring. If he leaves the state…or maybe the region, we will be highly disappointed.