We are officially just a few weeks away from the 2019 playoffs beginning.
Playoffs? We're talking about playoffs? Yes we are and district championships on top of that.
There is some movement in the new rankings as a lot of teams are making the final push in district play.
1) Manvel (Prev. 1) ** The Mavericks are rolling at 34-6 Overall, 12-0 in District and have won 17-straight matches. On top of that, in district Manvel has dropped just one set.
2) Grand Oaks (Prev. 2) ** The Grizzlies are 31-10 overall and 13-1 in district play, Grand Oaks just suffered its first district loss to Kingwood Park.
3) Shadow Creek (Prev. 5) ** The Sharks are 25-13 overall, 11-2 in district. Shadow Creek has won four-straight and in district play has dropped only eight total sets.
4) Tomball (Prev. 7) **The Cougars are 28-15 overall and 11-3 in District. Tomball has won seven-straight matches.
5) Friendswood (Prev. Unranked) ** The Mustangs have made a heck of a turnaround from the beginning of the season. Friendswood is now 25-16 overall and 10-0 in district with wins over Santa Fe (series sweep), Crosby and Texas City.
Week Five of the Texas high school football season got everything back to normal as all the games got rolling and there were some thrillers.
The biggest was Conroe holding off Klein Cain in a 58-55 thriller, where Christian Pack did it all for the Tigers. And how about the freshman kicker for Splendora! Kevin Luna nailed a 28-yard field goal to send the Wildcats over Liberty.
**If you do not see your athlete listed please send in nominations each week by Monday morning to Joshua.email@example.com or DM the @VYPEHouston Twitter account with the info.**
1) Christian Pack - Conroe QB
This was the performance of the week! Christian Pack accounted for 586 yards of total offense and six touchdowns in a 58-55 victory over Klein Cain. Pack was 23 of 37 for 371 yards, 4 TDs and 2 INTs; rushed for 201 yards and a score on 25 carries and had one reception for 14 yards and a score. Pack was unstoppable and was a lot of fun to watch. Christian Pack enters Week 6 of the season as the leading passer in District 15-6A with 1,331 yards and 16 touchdowns.
VYPE Player of the Game: @Christian_Pack_ did it all for the Tigers tonight passing, receiving and a rushing. Hear from him. #txhsfb @dctf @joeagleason @MphoenixII @ConroeFootball @ConroeHigh @CoachHardeman pic.twitter.com/rqACqWRhqk
— VYPE Houston (@vypehouston) September 29, 2019
2) Kevin "Captain Clutch" Luna - Splendora Kicker
Trailing 14-13 with 11 seconds remaining against Liberty, Marcus Schulz opted to go for the lead-changing field goal. Schulz turned to his freshman kicker Kevin Luna. Despite a high snap, Luna was able to nail the 28-yard game winner, sending the Splendora sideline into a frenzy.
"For a freshman to come in and do the job he has done so far is a huge weapon for us," Schulz said. "We graduated an All-State kicker last season in Damian Casas and Kevin is already filling those shoes. The snap was high and holder CJ Groh had to stand up and put it down. Luna had to pause and wait a split second before kicking the game winner!"
Luna is 12 of 13 on extra points this season and 2 for 2 in field goals, hitting one from 37 and 28 this season.