Houston sends 16 teams to State 7-on-7
It is time to play for a football state championship - a 7-on-7 crown to be exact.
The annual State 7-on-7 Tournament takes center stage starting on Thursday in College Station at Veterans Park and Athletic Complex. The Division II and Division III Tournaments begin on Thursday, while the Division I Tournament begins on Friday.
The Houston area hasn't brought home the Division I State Championship since The Woodlands won it all back in 2016. Since 2005, Baytown Lee (05), Seven Lakes (2014) and The Woodlands (2016) have been the only Houston teams to bring back the title.
College Station is the defending champion heading into this year and will open play in Pool G with Parkland, Pearce and United. So, which Houston team could upend the reigning champs?
Houston is sending 16 teams to the tournament this weekend in Division I play and this is how their pool assignments played out.
- POOL A - A&M Consolidated, Arlington, Bridgeland, John Tyler
- POOL B - Anderson (Austin), Bowie (Arlington), Klein Cain, Lufkin
- POOL C - Eastwood (El Paso), Horn (Mesquite), Manvel, Marcus (Flower Mound)
- POOL D - Clear Brook, Hutto, Port Neches-Groves, Southlake
- POOL E - Belton, Brandeis (San Antonio), Cy-Fair, Lamar (Arlington)
- POOL F - Cedar Hill, Clear Springs, Lake Travis, West Brook (Beaumont)
- POOL G - College Station, Parkland (El Paso), Pearce (Richardson), United (Laredo)
- POOL H - Cy Falls, DeSoto, Mission, Round Rock
- POOL I - Dickinson, Eisenhower, Guyer (Denton), Vista Ridge (Cedar Park)
- POOL J - Coronado (Lubbock), Lovejoy, Ridge Point, Rockwall
- POOL K - Lone Star (Frisco), Midway (Waco), Montgomery, O'Connor (San Antonio)
- POOL L - Heath (Rockwall), Klein Oak, Midland Christian, Midlothian
- POOL M - Foster, Frisco, Veterans (Mission), Westlake
- POOL N - Coppell, Katy, LBJ (Austin), Rider (Wichita Falls)
- POOL O - Cy Woods, Hebron (Lewisville), Pioneer (Sharyland), Temple
- POOL P - Central (San Angelo), Mansfield, North Forney, Fort Bend Travis